Environmental Education and Communication Resources
Involvement/Communication Links Embedded in text
The resources listed below are split into the categories of full time jobs, part time jobs, job boards, internships,and volunteer work in the fields of either environmental communication or environmental education.
- Athens Humane Shelter– non-profit organization dedicated to housing stray dogs and finding owners for them while also offering spaying and neutering services: this looks good to potential employers in the environmental sciences; plus you can get experience working and communicating with other volunteers if you move into one of their more management based positions.
- Campus Kitchen– hunger relief program run by
student volunteers and the Office of Service Learning: this provides you
experience communicating with local community members and gives you experience
trying to solve sustainability issues in the framework of our food system.
- Take unused food from grocery stores and make meals out of them for older adults and human service agencies
- Promotes campus-community connection and strives to fight senior isolation
- Shows commitment to sustainability and food security programs
- Also leadership opportunities and graduate assistantships
- UGArden– student community farm growing food for local community and teaching students about gardening
- DAWG Day of Service– large event put on for UGA students to volunteer for a consortium of agencies including environmental ones each year
- UGA Community Service Page– UGA website listing a variety of locations to volunteer
- Removing Invasive Species at Brooklyn Cemetery -program to restore dignity to low income African American burial grounds which don’t receive the same treatment as other cemeteries where higher income individuals are buried.
- Volunteer at ACC Leisure Services
- Sandy Creek Nature Center– 225 acres of woodlands and wetlands with over 4 miles of trails to explore with connections to North Oconee River Greenway and Cook’s Trail
- Bear Hollow Zoo– rehabilitation center for Georgia’s native animals
- Volunteer for
community centers, nature programs, and parks here
- Attend mayor and commission planning Citizens Government Academy meetings
- Speak Out for Species Club– animal rights
awareness group based in Athens, Ga.
- Volunteer at events to help out animals
- They also have many professors and potential employers at events–good networking opportunities
- American Fisheries Society– club devoted to conserving the fishes of the United States! Also, admin is devoted to setting up its members with networking opportunities
Internships, Part time Jobs, Research Opportunities Resources
- Center for International Environmental Law
- law firm w/ offices in D.C. and Geneva involved in policy research, advocacy, and legal council in 3 categories: Climate & Energy, Environmental Health, and People, Land, & Resources.
- Link: CIEL
- Contact: email@example.com
Office of Sustainability
- strategic division started in 2010 to enhance sustainability of UGA; includes campus-wide and student-run initiatives
- Georgia Museum of Natural History
- The Georgia Museum of Natural History is located on University of Georgia’s campus and has 14 exhibits. They have pubic service and outreach events and have UGA interns each semester.
- contact Dr. Suzanne E. Pilaar Birch (firstname.lastname@example.org, 706-542-4171)
- Upper Oconee Watershed Network (UOWN) -organization dedicated to protecting the Upper Oconee Watershed through monitoring, education, advocacy, and recreation
- UGA Marine Extension Internships
- The UGA Marine Extension is located in Savannah and houses an aquarium as well as several labs in which to find internships. They do work with coastal ecosystems, pollution, public education, and ongoing data collection.
- Link: UGA Marine Extension
- Contact: Contacts vary depending on internship, but each is listed under the individual description.
- Environmental Communication Internships UGA
- This list offers over 15 internships in the field of environmental communication through or related to the University of Georgia.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service
-government organization focused on conservation and management of fish,
migratory birds, and other wildlife through grants, jobs, and volunteer
Jobs Boards / Databases
- North American Association of Environmental Education Internship
- Specific job board for Environmental education and shows jobs across the United States
- Link: NAAEE
- Conservation Job Board
- Job board with environmental education, ecology, recreation, and restoration jobs
- (Internships Included)
- Link: Conservation Job Board
- Backdoor Jobs
- A job board that specializes in outdoor and environmental education
- Link: Back Door Jobs
- Federal government jobs
- Link: USA Jobs
- opportunities for action and collaboration
- Link: Idealist
- Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
- American Fisheries Society Jobs Board -club devoted to conserving the fishes of the United States! Also, admin is devoted to setting up its members with networking opportunities
- UGA Employment Services -explore faculty and staff position vacancies at the University of Georgia
- UGA Games and Virtual Environments Lab– research facility devoted to changing unhealthy habits and social norms of the general public regarding the environment, animals, and other areas like health and wellness. Link same as one above.
Full Time Jobs
- Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants
- A nonprofit organization that connects scientists out in the field around the world to students in classrooms through satellite video chats
- UGA Career Center Ecology Jobs Page
- government organization devoted to regulated our food and drug resources
- Athens Land Trust
- Athens Land Trust works locally to promote affordable housing, land conservation, community agriculture, and youth development.
- Environment America
- Environment America is an organization that raises awareness of environmental issues and sensible solutions. They raise money by canvassing, they hold conferences and interviews, and organize campaigns that differ by state.
- National Geographic and National Geographic Society– entertainment and non-profit companies devoted to spreading awareness of environmental issues through engaging storytelling
- Center for Geospatial Research – UGA
organization that applies geographic thinking and geospatial research including
virtual reality to raise the body of knowledge in environmental and natural
- Involved in education and public service
- Contact Dr. Marguerite Madden to